FLIPPER

User reviews for machines found in our database.

Moderator: Moderators

Geep2

FLIPPER

Post by Geep2 »

This "Flipper" machine is great! I have had it for about 2 years and enjoy it each time I use it. I added a 'chip' to allow the wheels to stop on their own or I can still press the buttons, which gives it another dimension. Yes, it is an older machine, but still loads of fun. If you have an opportunity to purchase one, do so, as you will enjoy having it.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Much the same comments at Geep2, I have had mine about 3 months, I also added the chip to stop the wheels on there own. Pretty good machine. In California we can not legally have machines newer than 25 years and this probably fits that window. Not state of the art but it is fun. Image
turbo

Re: FLIPPER

Post by turbo »

hi all,
just got this exact Flipper machine, its great & all seem to work.
but there is 1 thing i cannot figure, it will only accept 3 tokens for 1 spin / play of the reels and will drop down any extra tokens i put in. it will not accept more tokens that would normally go into credit in any other pachislo. is the mode changed to payout mode & can it be changed or is it something else??
thanks
turbo

Post by turbo »

that i just got sorted, it was just the pay mode & i managed to find out how to change to credit mode,
LOU

Post by LOU »

turbo wrote:that i just got sorted, it was just the pay mode & i managed to find out how to change to credit mode,
Congratulations :!: You'll be helping others before you know it :!:
To play or not to play, that is the question.
ackleplem
United States of America

Post by ackleplem »

turbo wrote:that i just got sorted, it was just the pay mode & i managed to find out how to change to credit mode,
Well Done!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Seig
United States of America

Post by Seig »

Glad to hear the payout mode was a simple fix. You mentioned that it "only" takes 3 tokens for 1 spin/play; if there was any confusion there, it could be the machine is max-bet only.

Granted, the database says 1, 2, or 3. I'm thinking it would have to be a very specific malfunction to turn it into a 3-bet only, unless there was some sort of revision to the game internally, but nothing changed to the outer appearance on the revised model when it was manufactured. Due to the 2-year maximum run-time these machines see in the parlors they originate from, the manufacturers typically use the same cabinet model (down to the buttons) for multiple games, so you'll see bet 1 and bet 2 buttons on machines that only let you play the "full board".
May the odds be ever in your favor
turbo

Post by turbo »

well, it can actually take 1 bet to play single line then 2 bets for 3 lines & 3 bets for combination of 5 lines, but when in the pay out mode it was taking max of 3 bets / tokens & then dropped down any extra tokens. but as it turned that was all due to pay out mode.
Regarding to the max bet option this machine is the early 1, manufactured in 1994 and it does not have max bet option. only bet-1 button which need to be pressed 3 times to bet for all lines..
I am currently trying to find more info about this particular machine, does anyone now where to find how many of this model was ever made? or how rare this type is? is there anywhere to check roughly what is the current value of this machine?
i remind it is 1994 Flipper -3 pachislo made by Universal Entertainment / Azure

thanks
Seig
United States of America

Post by Seig »

Ah, so I just misunderstood :lol:

Finding out how many were made could be difficult. Seeing as these machines are meant to be used for a maximum of 2 years (and many don't even make it that far) and then thrown out, I don't believe the original manufacturers ever built them with an after-market in mind. I would guess that maybe of the stickers one often sees along the front, one of them might have that information on it, I just wouldn't know for sure.

For what it's worth: On my Hanabi, one sticker has a super long number on it, but I'm guessing that might be for the "inspections" or something that might be required periodically. On the left is a smaller number that looks like it could be a serial number, and may also reflect its number on the production line. (058943, I imagine these machines get produced in HUGE numbers, so the idea that it's the 58,943rd machine doesn't seem too far fetched for a guesstimate) My other machine I unfortunately destroyed two of the 3 stickers on it in the process of placing a custom bellyart to replace the lame Corvette piece that someone replaced the original bellyart with before I bought it. That one has 3 sets of numbers, one of which is 31-07459. 31 might be a lot number, and the 07459 could be its serial number within that lot. Really I'm just guessing on absolutely nothing but the stickers here. But it seems like that's the closest you get to knowing how many were made, at least at the time your machine was made.

As for the value, different strokes for different folks. It comes down to how much you're willing/able to spend and what it's worth to -you-, but it seems like the baseline (assuming it's not something rare or in very high demand, as well as in working condition/both keys included and maybe a handful of tokens or three) is around $100-150-ish for the really old machines, about $200-250 for the fancier machines with extra reels and stuff I personally like to call "Pre-LCD display machines". I'd say $300-350 and up for the early LCD display machines, particularly a little higher for the ones where the display is the type that goes all the way around the reel window. Models that have actually come out on this side of 2010 I'd say $500 easily again if it's in good shape with both keys and some tokens.

Again though, this is just sort of a baseline guideline coming from one person here. It also comes down to how much you're able to spend and how much the machine is worth to you. The market isn't really a stable thing since most of the machines you see on ebay or craigslist (that aren't listings from sites like akimono.com) are likely from people who don't even know the word 'Pachislo' and just call them slot machines. :)
LOU

Post by LOU »

Seig wrote: The market isn't really a stable thing since most of the machines you see on ebay or craigslist (......) are likely from people who don't even know the word 'Pachislo' and just call them slot machines. :)
Some of these people are under the impression that each of these machines cost several thousand dollars to make, and are from China. Plus you get the sellers who got suckered/ripped off when they purchased the machine and now want to make it up on you. That is why a site such as this one is so worthwhile for its database and its members' input. Kudos again to Chris!
turbo

Post by turbo »

thanks for the replies still cannot find the info of how many of these machines were made but i never counted that this would be an easy task:) i found the number on my sticker on the left & its: 036920 [not sure if there was so many ever made especially because i have seen many of these around but then there is a question how many of these ever left Japan :?: ] above it sais U-4-7 and also brand which is Universal of course :lol:
another question i have got is whether the bottom glass panel should illuminate at all or maybe in the older machines it was only as the image / illustration but not to light up. attached photos of it does now
Attachments
when on lights are on in the top panel, reels & next to reels, but nothing in the bottom panel, does that supposed to light up at all??
when on lights are on in the top panel, reels & next to reels, but nothing in the bottom panel, does that supposed to light up at all??
IMG_9865[1].JPG (219.89 KiB) Viewed 34417 times
turbo

Post by turbo »

the bottom panel does not light up at all at the moment, but i dont know whether it should or not really??
Attachments
IMG_9866[1].JPG
IMG_9866[1].JPG (291.86 KiB) Viewed 34414 times
Seig
United States of America

Post by Seig »

It's possible that it should. The cabinet looks similar to the Hanabi (also by Universal). If it's similar in design, you should be able to open the front door and look on the back of the door where the bottom panel area would be. You should see what looks like a clip for holding that front panel in place (they typically just pop into place with two clips like this), and an identical clip on the opposite end to the right. If you see these, be VERY CAREFUL about popping the panel out and make sure you don't let it fall! Those two clips are the only thing holding it in place! Just push them down and pop the panel out while making sure to keep a hand on the other side to stop the panel from falling.

Assuming you get that far, you should be able to see whether or not there's a lighting fixture behind the panel. I don't know how to go about replacing it or which parts source would be best to go hunting or if they're generic enough to order somewhere or find locally, but that should at least answer your question as to whether or not it should be lit.

Alternatively, if you see those two clips, and you see wires that pass through a hole that looks like it leads in between the front of the bottom panel and the inside of the door, then there's probably a light fixture in there.
turbo

Post by turbo »

got the panel off & yes there is a long bulb but burned, so replaced that & all works again, excellent. got my machine fully working now :twisted: the only thing i need sorting still is the credit digital display as 1st column numbers display very bright but 2nd column is quite dark hardly visible, not sure how to get that fixed.
LOU

Post by LOU »

That's a new one to me. I wonder if that means a circuit board replace?
lea

Post by lea »

I just purchased a Flipper slot machine but I only got to use it once before it stopped working. I opened the machine to retrieve the coins from the hopper and when I closed the door only some of the lights came on and the machine won't accept any coins. In addition there is a clicking noise coming from the speaker. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with the machine and how to fix it. I did a hard reset and looked for any wires that weren't connected properly as well as all of the bulbs and fuses.
turbo

Post by turbo »

maybe there is a way to recondition the circuit board?? or where to find another 1 like it??
Lea - have you tried reset more than once??
lea

Post by lea »

Yes, I have tried to reset the machine several times but nothing seems to work.
lea

Post by lea »

Do you have any idea where to get a more detailed repair manual? The book I have is pretty generic and really isn't helpful.
LOU

Post by LOU »

Here is a link to what is probably the best manual on pachislos--and it was put together by one of our members, Arraking.
http://www.pachislodb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4342