MACROSS

User reviews for machines found in our database.

Moderator: Moderators

stampeed valkyrie
United States of America

MACROSS

Post by stampeed valkyrie »

SDF Macross is the first Pachislo machine that I purchased.. The machine is themed after Chōjikū Yōsai Makurosu (Super Spacetime Fortress Macross) or more commonly known as Super Dimesion Fortress Macross. Those who were children of the 80's may recognize this under another name "Robotech". There are numerous Sequels and spinoffs and in 2012 it celebrated its 30th Anniversary and is still going strong. For more information about the series and its plot... check out SDF Macross Wikipedia Entry

Externally the machines main attractions are the LCD display at the top, and the belly glass showing a lit 3D torso of a VF-1J Battroid of the series main Protaginist. The other main "Gimmicks" are sliding doors that mechanically slide out and retract covering half of the screen, or when both slide out cover the whole screen. Each of these doors read SDF-1 Macross, and on the left door reads Daedulus, and the right door Promethius. This also has an additional feature where both doors will close and then open to reveal a 3D lit up head of a VF-1J Battroid (same as on the belly glass) which I find to be one if its best features when you accomplish something and it comes about. Music is all BGM from the SDF Macross TV Series.. several titles I have heard so far would be the opening of the TV Series, My Boyfriend is pilot, Little White Dragon, and other notables from the TV series..
Optimized-20150228_110545.jpg
Optimized-20150228_110545.jpg (620.89 KiB) Viewed 12514 times
Gameplay.. Since I only have had this machine for a short while my experience is still rather limited but I can talk about what I have encountered so far..
The game starts off on the Bridge of the SDF-1 showing any of the main Bridge staff in their various tasks. This eventually changes to show the Captain, or other Bridge staff all perfoming their assigned duties.. Eventually the doors will close and the machine changes its location to the Interior City section of the Macross. The interior usually entails random panning of the city scape, and interactions between it inhabitants. You will also see Lynn Minmay randomly walking about the city stopping at various locations. Eventually the Machine will return the player back to the Bridge of the SDF-1 by closing the doors and then reopening to show the new location.
Another common feature with the doors is the fact that one will randomly close and behind it show an object of some sort.. This happens differently depending on where you are on the ship. On the Bridge this will occur with one of the doors hiding another Destroid (Mech) behind it... the door will slide open to reveal what mech is behind it... and its color revealing what the reels are going to do. On the flip side in the City Scape a door will close and the screen will show Minmay who appears to be waiting for someone.. the door then opens to reveal whatever item got her attention... again color related to show what the bonus is.

Bonus Rounds..
There are Several in this game which makes game play entertaining.. There are Standard Bonus, Big Bonus, Premium Bonus which are universal with Pachislo machines... however there are several Bonus modes which seem to trigger randomly.. Valkyrie Time, Kyun Kyun Mode, Attack Bonus and Macross Mode. All of which show your in that mode by lighting up a different part of the playfield near the reels. I have yet to actually encounter Macross mode so I will cover the previous 2 modes and add the last mode when I get through it.
Kyun, Kyun Mode (Zoom, Zoom Mode) is a bonus minigame focusing on Lynn Minmay.. The machine will direct you to hit reels in the sequence displayed on the screen while Minmay sings and goes through various animations.. if successful you will unlock the ability to get Big Bonus..
Valkyrie Time.. Thid mode entails the screen showing the Valkyrie Fighter of the main series protaginist flying around and patrolling where they encounter random waves of enemy craft (Regults) the machine will show you what buttons to hit to get all 3 targets and will award you credits for each successful round.
Attack Bonus.. This mode will trigger randomly and it appears after you get the 777 combination to set it off.
In this mode you proceed to attack enemy craft again and very similar to Valkyrie time you stop the reels to attack the target indicated. You either hit or miss and a bonus is given depending on how many targets you hit. **Random Note** I seem to miss the middle target frequently but hit the L and R targets 100% of the time.
Macross Mode... Not real sure what this mode actually does... from the video I have seen it appears to show the Macross advancing through several waves of attackers and similiar to "Valkyrie Time" you are to shoot them down by hitting the buttons designated.. after several rounds if successful I believe this allows you to unlock the "Premium Bonus"
Lastly is the chance button.. which will light up at several different spots during game play... and allow "Chance" to occur either defeating the Zentradi attackers... or Scoring a Kiss for Minmay. Or you just fail at both... which happens quite abit.. :mrgreen:

Overall.. I would give this machine very high marks it is entertaining to play and will keep you engaged when you play the mini games for the desired Bonus Rounds. The BGM and the lighting on the machine are all excellent keeping with the theme of what the machine is doing or what your reels landed on.. If you land on replay the lighting will show mostly Blue, while Bells will change it to yellow..

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have further questions as I will answer to the best of my ability..
I plan on coming back and editing this review after I get more playtime and adding some pictures..

Rob :newb:
Looking for Anime Theme'd machines
Macross, Evangelion, Nadesico... etc etc.

Want list.
Sankyo Fever SDF Macross
LOU

Re: MACROSS

Post by LOU »

Kudos :!: Very good review :!: Thank you.
To play or not to play, that is the question.
ackleplem
United States of America

Post by ackleplem »

Sounds like a great game!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
stampeed valkyrie
United States of America

Macross Chance apparently shows several important scenes from the series that, will randomly rotate real quick.. when you hit the chance button at this point the scene selected will stop and play out.. depending on what you score on the reels determines if you win the round or not.. I hit one last night and the scene was showing Hikaru, rescuing Misa that was succesful and immediately led into a bonus round.

Also had an interesting run on "Valkyrie Time" it kept going into this mode 8 times... yes it kept track and totaled the payouts at the end of all 8 rounds was 500+ tokens..

Still have yet to land the premium bonus... will keep trying.

Want list.
Sankyo Fever SDF Macross
ackleplem
United States of America

Post by ackleplem »

It sounds like you are having fun with Macross. If I'm in the market for another machine, I definitely will look into it. It looks really, really cool.

A lot of people ask about instructional literature for their machines. You are already on your way there with the information you've been providing on this thread for Macross.

If you are ever interested in taking the next step to creating a book on your machine, here is a link for a guidebook template I created:

http://www.pachislodb.com/viewtopic.php ... ate#p40882

The more information that's out there, the greater the benefit for other members.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
stampeed valkyrie
United States of America

The Led lighting on this machine is quite amazing.. my other 2 machines will flash and strobe to different patterns but this machine has the ability to change its led colors to about 9 different colors.. including a rainbow effect.

Still learning the ropes as its surprised me a few times with how bonuses played out.

Want list.
Sankyo Fever SDF Macross