Williams Rockstar?

Discussion of the other round ball phenomenon

Moderators: Moderators, Gman

Devospeed

Williams Rockstar?

Post by Devospeed »

I got a reply to trade my 2 Pachi's (Ultraman and Secret Treasure) for a pinball. Just this morning somebody emailed me that they would trade a Williams Rockstar for the two Pachi's. He said it needs fuses to work and its been in storage for awhile. Anybody ever heard of this pinball? I need some advise, good trade or not?
dbeeks1

Post by dbeeks1 »

Not sure if this is the machine, but it's the only Rock Star in the Internet Pinball Database. It's a Gottlieb.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1983

Here's a Williams Rock 'N Roll
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1981

I'm sure Gman will have some insight on this. Good luck!
Devospeed

Post by Devospeed »

Thanks for the info! The Gottlieb Rockstar is the only one I could find also. The guy is emailing me pics today. I will post them once I get them. If the machine needs a lot of work, I might have to pass on it. Or maybe offer just one Pachi for trade.
METZ

Post by METZ »

cant wait to see it devo

the guy told you williams and rockstar ?

seems odd :?
that rockstar looks kind of cool
ImageImageImage
Devospeed

Post by Devospeed »

Yeah it does seem odd and he never did email me any pics. He also said it was from the mid 80's? I think the machine is from 1978?
METZ

Post by METZ »

so what happened devo?

I'm still waiting on my free one also :cry:
ImageImageImage
Devospeed

Post by Devospeed »

METZ wrote:so what happened devo?

I'm still waiting on my free one also :cry:
Nothing Happened :cry: I didn't get an email back! I hope things work out with yours! I have future pinball for now to help hold back some of the tears! :)
Gman
United States of America

Post by Gman »

Williams made a single-player called "Super Star" in September of 1972.
This had a rock and roll theme.

Gottlieb made a single-player called "Rock Star" in January of 1979 in
both electronic and electro-mechanical versions.
The add a ball version of "Super star" is "Big Star"

I stole this info from RGP so it probably is right.

Too bad, no call back. Try contacting him again.
If it is an EM it would need the contacts cleaned if it sat for any length of time.
I really like my EM it is fun to play old school pinball.
Mike

Custom woodworking http://www.gmanind.com
go to my Game room link on the bottom of the page :) Image
Devospeed

Post by Devospeed »

I got another email this morning from the same guy, but for a different ad I had on the Craigslist. This ad was for some Mame stuff I'm selling. I emailed him back asking for some pictures again. Lets see what I get back this time?

Question for you Gman, are the parts easy to come by for this particular pinball machine? Also are they hard to work on?
METZ

Post by METZ »

good luck devo
mine is gone :cry: :cry: :cry:
well I guess 1 free machine this year ain't bad
ImageImageImage
Gman
United States of America

Post by Gman »

Most core parts are available. Amazingly there are many pinball parts sources, Marco, Pinball life, etc. There are people making replacement parts for even the game specific playfield parts. and collectors will sell you their spare parts if you need them. The only parts that are hard to find is good back glass, and playfield. I am looking for a Gott, Monte Carlo translite and cannot find one. so I decided to make a new one.
Newer Williams games (sys 11) have a huge fan base and most of the popular games have complete spare parts available. for the consumable parts like
Ring kits, switches, fuses are generic and available many places. Expert repair advice is available on RGP. Older EM games have a particular devoted fan base that can and will help repair any old game.
I have received detailed instructions and have my 1967 Gottlieb Super Score working 100%. When I bought it it was dead.
I am currently replacing resistors, capacitors, IC modules and transistors on an old Williams Sys4 pinball. I am in conversation with a die hard older Williams fan in England who knows the minute details of the circuits. He has provided me with detailed info on how to repair my own driver board.

There are several repair guys who can repair the boards or entire game for a decent price if you get in over your head.
The really nice thing is technical manuals,
are available in English, (most are free) and parts are cheap.

First thing I do with a new project is remove the rubber rings, clean and spot repair the PF if needed or just clean and wax a good one.
Important! replace the ball! A wore scuffed or pitted ball acts like a grinder destroying the play field, they are only about a buck. If it is not mirror bright replace it. any haze is bad.
new rings make it play and look good.
Last edited by Gman on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Custom woodworking http://www.gmanind.com
go to my Game room link on the bottom of the page :) Image
Devospeed

Post by Devospeed »

Some very good info Gman! I'm hoping to pick up a pinball soon and I assume it will be one that needs repaired in some way. I'm looking for something late 70's early 80's. I think the guy that emailed me will not reply again. I'm not sure why he emails people and never replies?