KYOJIN NO HOSHI

User reviews for machines found in our database.

Moderator: Moderators

deano6772

KYOJIN NO HOSHI

Post by deano6772 »

After installing volume control this machine is great fun just pick it up and it works great, I just wish I new what the heck it is saying :lol: .
Seig
United States of America

Post by Seig »

Greetings!

My Kyojin no Hoshi machine is my very first Pachislo and is responsible for my becoming aware of Pachislos in general. Nearly a month after bringing it home, I'm still addicted, and thought I'd write a review and a guide for it!

Review

---Appearance---

Seeing as it's my first Pachislo, I don't have much to compare it with in terms of machines I personally own, but for all intents and purposes, it looks pretty slick. The reflective gold frame creates some interesting optical illusions with the belly graphic (which unfortunately was replaced with a Corvette Ad when I bought it that I've since replaced with a low-quality attempt at a custom relevant graphic). Since there are 5 reels, the reel window opens all the way to the frame on the left and right sides, and the winning combinations are all noted directly around the reel window, leaving the top and bottom graphics 'clean'.

-------------------

---Sound---

As far as the music goes, it's rather catchy. I have no complaints about the Reg Bonus, Big Bonus, Pitching Mini Game, and 'Special Training' song loops, all of which provide appropriate atmosphere and add to the fun when any of these modes begin. Sound effects are about as good as can be expected in a machine designed to belt them out loud enough to destroy your ears. Voices are a toss-up depending on your preference; most of the time, the voices speak to you in Japanese, however there are times when certain phrases are spoken in English (albeit with a thick Japanese accent) such as “Strike! Strike Two! Strike, Batter out! Foul! Come on! Boo-yeah! Bonus Continue!”

An after-market volume adjuster is a MUST for this machine, unless you prefer it that loud and don't have any neighbors who'd mind. Before I got my volume adjuster, I used little business card magnets as a temporary measure, and the speakers were so loud you could feel air blowing from them when any sound played. The built-in switch does NOT help!

-------------------

---Gameplay---

I don't think I could have gotten a better machine for my very first. While I'm sure the more recent ones with LCD screens are great, there's something about the way the machine uses two extra reels on the sides to depict different events and such, instead of a simple video/display, that amuses me. The baseball theme is fairly straight forward and easy to grasp, with a definite Japanese Anime spin on the pitcher's spring-loaded training harness. On Skill Setting 6, there are times where I might hit 3+ Big Bonuses in quick succession, and other times where I think I've somehow made the machine angry! The combination is just right to keep it addicting and a pleasant surprise when that flashing 7 rolls up on the far right reel!

-------------------

Guide

---Origin of Theme---

I'd like to start the guide off by explaining the origin of the machine's baseball theme. The characters aren't an original creation specifically for the Pachislo machine, but rather they're taken from a 1960's Japanese animated series (aka Anime) called Kyojin no Hoshi (Star of the Giants). The anime is based on the actual Japanese baseball team, the Yomiuri Giants, and except for the lead character (Hyuuma Hoshi, the young pitcher depicted on the top and belly graphics/on the far left reel during the pitching mini game) the other characters depicted on the team are based on the actual baseball players at the time.

The older man usually depicted on the left reel with a dining table on the right reel is Hoshi's father, and the young girl depicted on the right reel is Hoshi's older sister, Akiku. So the pitcher, the older man, and the girl are family.

Of the two batters Hoshi faces off against in the mini games, Mitsuru is the one that appears most often, and is Hoshi's 'rival' in terms of ability. I don't know much about the heavier set batter, other than he appears to be the 'Big Brother', or possibly the father, of about 5 younger children, which might explain the weird higher-toned voices that play when he appears on the right reel. On one of the Kyojin no Hoshi II machines, the graphics feature him, and the top graphic shows him in a group hug with those children.

The shirtless man with the weird harness that makes him look like some kind of wired robot is also Hoshi (the pitcher). The harness is connected by springs designed to help train his arms for pitching.

-------------------

---Overlaying Spin Mechanic---

For the majority of the gameplay, each spin is governed by an overlaying spin mechanic, which means that most of the time, your control over the reels is VERY limited. While it may appear that you can manage to stop two reels on a '7' and just seem to have the timing off on the third every single time, in truth the machine rigs every spin.

Behind the scenes, each spin pulls one scenario from a short list, along with a chance that the start of the spin will also trigger a mini-game. Obviously the machine doesn't let you see what these scenarios are, but the following list describes what those scenarios are:

(2)(1)(3) – If the reels are stopped in a certain order, it's a guaranteed 'Free Replay' combination, aka Jac-In (3 of the blue circles with '16' in the middle). For example, if this scenario is pulled for a spin, and the order was (2)(1)(3), it would mean that if you stopped the reels in the order of middle, left, then right, no matter when you stopped them, you would automatically get a Jac-In/Free Replay. If you stop the reels out of the order the machine has picked, you get nothing.

(X) (X) (X) - If this scenario is pulled, you won't get diddly squat.

(O)(O)(O) – No matter what order you stop them in, you're guaranteed a Jac-In/Free Replay

Bell/Bell/Bell – Same as the one above, except you're guaranteed to get 3 Bells in a row.

Because these scenarios are 'Behind the Scenes' in the machine's programming, it's really just a guessing game. I personally just make sure to vary the order I stop the reels most of the time, and in some cases manage to hit 4 replays in a row, which unlocks 'Bonus Continue' mode.

-------------------

---Bonus Continue---

Bonus Continue mode is more or less when you've unlocked the ability to stop the reels on 7-7-7/BAR-BAR-BAR, or 7-7-BAR. These are often mutually exclusive, and there will be times when you've won 4 replays or a mini-game but are only able to hit the Regular bonus combination, not the Big Bonus combination. This mode is depicted when the outter reels are in the position they're usually in when the machine is first turned on, only they'll be flashing multiple colors. It's often kicked off with one of the 3 main characters saying “Bonus Continue!” (with the Japanese accent, it sounds like “Boh-nas Continah!” from Hoshi, and 'Boh-nas Con-tin-a-yew' from his dad or sister.)

-------------------

---Mini Games---

So it sounds like it's nearly impossible to be lucky enough to hit 4 replays in a row on your own, and for the most part, it won't happen too often. What usually helps you score a Regular or Big Bonus are the variety of what I call 'mini games' depicted by the reels on the ends. There's about 8 different mini games; two of them are a little more involved with flashing lights, music, the light that shines -on- the reels turns off, making the internal reel lights more vibrant, and they can last for more than one turn. The rest do not involve special music, and only a couple involve more than one spin. I've listed them below:

---Baseball Pitch---

This is the primary mini game of the machine, as it's the only one that actually involves a pitcher and a batter in the act of playing Baseball. Hoshi is depicted on the left reel in a pose as though he's about to pitch, while the opposing batter is depicted on the right. The majority of the time, you'll be pitted against Hoshi's rival, Mitsuru, and less often against the heavier-set batter.

In my experience, the heavier-set batter seems somewhat easier to 'beat', though not by much. At one point, I actually managed to hit a Big Bonus combination 7-7-7 DURING the mini game with him, however this was earlier on in my ownership of the machine, and it's possible I'd won a previous mini-game without realizing it and the machine had carried me into the pitching game before I managed to hit it.

You're tipped off that this mini game is about to start when you start a spin and hear a high-pitched, sort of twinkling/whistling sound. Each time you stop a reel, the lights behind it shut off and a loud 'boom' sounds; however, if you hit a winning combination during this spin, the mini-game gets cancelled out. Part of my research about the overlaying spin mechanic of this game comes from my observation that this mini-game will sometimes cancel out on the second reel stop, suggesting it knows that no matter when you stop the third, it's going to complete a winning combination, and is therefore pre-determined.

Assuming it isn't cancelled out, the light shining on the reels (the same light that lights up the strip above the window that shows the Bonus combinations) will go dark, and the outter reels will spin to a fanfare and stop with Hoshi (the pitcher) on the left, and one of two possible opposing batters on the right.

Once you press a bet button or drop a token in the slot, the outer lights of the machine will begin to flicker in a flashy pattern and anxious music begins to play, drumming up the suspension. On the first two spins, Hoshi will pitch the ball at the batter after you stop all 3 reels. If the batter hits the ball and it's a fair ball, you lose the mini-game, the left reel will spin to show Hoshi on his knees in defeat, and the machine will return to normal play.

If the batter misses, you'll hear the ball hit the catcher's mitt and the umpire calls “STRIIIIIKE!” (sounds kinda like 'Streeeek' with the Japanese accent). You'll then repeat this process a second time, with the same result if you fail, and a resounding 'Streeeeek TWO!' if you succeed. I've gotten winning/non-winning combinations, and stopped the reels in every possible order, and have both succeeded and failed with each, leading me to believe this is also a random chance, and not based on anything you have control over.

There's also a chance that the batter will hit the ball, possibly ticking you off, until you hear the umpire call out “FOUL!” and the left reel stops back on Hoshi in his pitching posture instead of in defeat... Close call! This counts as a strike/successful pitch!

If you succeed on the first two pitches, it appears to be random what will happen on the third spin, as one of two scenarios will occur:

In one, you'll be set up for a third, regular pitch just like the first two. In my experience, I've failed every single time I'm given this third regular pitch. At most, I would try to go for a bonus combination just in case, otherwise, expect to lose the mini-game every time this happens.

What you want to see happen is the left reel stop on the numbers 1, 2, and 3 arranged vertically, and they will begin to flash in a loop from 1 to 3. -This part is still a mystery to me, and I'm assuming it may either depict the odds of your success, or perhaps it determines something to do with what order to stop the reels in, I'm not sure, though I've won the mini-game at least once after any of the numbers were lit.- Stopping the final reel will stop the flashing on one of those numbers. The next spin is the final pitch! The left reel stops to show a 4-panel mini-comic depicting the 'camera' zooming in on the fire in Hoshi's eyes.

As you stop each reel, they'll flicker and a repeating sound effect will loop. In some cases, it's the same on each reel, in others, each successive reel stop makes the sound speed up. I believe this could be tied to the flashing 1,2,3 step. After you stop all 3 reels on this, cross your fingers. The fail scenario is the same as before, while the success scenario will cause the right reel to slide from the batter up to the catcher, “STRIKE! BATTER OUT!” after which the outter reels will spin and stop on the panels that usually display when the machine is first turned on, only flashing multiple colors, signifying a Bonus Continue!

To sum up:
Tip-off at the start of a Spin
Turn 1 (Pitch)
Turn 2 (Pitch)
Turn 3 (Auto-fail(?), or flashing 1,2,3 on left reel)
Turn 4 (Final Pitch)
Success = Bonus Continue

On a final note, if you lose on the final pitch, you may want to try for a bonus combination anyway. I've noted that even upon failure, the game will occasionally throw you a bone and let you hit at least a Regular bonus even if you fail.

Aftermath – On rare occasion, on the first spin after failing a Baseball Pitch mini game, you'll hear the crowd cheer and Hoshi's sister will appear on the right reel and help you with a Bonus.

-------------------

---Special Training---

If this game is activated, the light effects and music will begin the moment you bet/drop a token in. It appears to happen at random, though most often I seem to see it trigger after the 'Giggling Sister' mini-game described below. In this mode, each spin will have a chance to either just play out as usual with the overlaying spin mechanic, or the left reel will spin to show Hoshi in his training harness, and the lights behind 2 of the 3 reels will go dark. You'll also see a ball symbol light up on the right reel, and the very top row of red lights on the machine will be light up along the left, middle, or right, matching with the reel. The point of this mini-game is to help you achieve 4 Jac-Ins/Free Replays in a row, thereby unlocking the ability to hit a Bonus combination.

This is done by stopping the reels in the order they are lit. More often than not, the game will start off by only 'assisting' you with one or two spins in a row, then leave you on your own. Failure to follow the order may result in getting booted from this mini-game with nothing to show for it. Eventually, you'll be assisted 4 times in a row and the game will end with Hoshi saying something that sounds positive. The reels won't slide to 'Bonus Continue' mode, but you should be able to nail one of those combinations now. If you fail the first few spins after 'Special Training', the machine will throw a mini-game at you and you're all but guaranteed to win it to underline the point that you're able to hit a Bonus combination now.

Referring back to the Overlaying Spin Mechanic I mentioned, I believe this "Special Training" isn't affecting the odds at all, but instead, each time a spin pulls the scenario that involves pressing the buttons in a certain order to get a replay, the 'Special Training' is helping you by not only telling you when the spin has done this, but telling you what order to stop the reels in, and continuing to do so until you either fail to follow the correct order too many times, or until chance gives you 4 such spins in a row.

-------------------

---Dining Table---

This one occurs often. You'll start a spin, the outter reels will spin; the left one will stop on a picture of Hoshi's father in his socks, appearing to have just struck something, the right reel will stop on the family dining table (looks short, 'cause they kneel at it as is/was common in Japanese culture, it also looks cracked, possibly because the father hits it all the time). It has several different outcomes depending on the color of the table:

Blue: Automatic Jac-In/Free Replay (helpful if you happened to already get 2-3 free replays in a row before hand)

Yellow: Automatic 3 Bells (7 tokens)

Green: Automatic 3 Watermelons (10 tokens)

Red: Usually means you -can- stop the left reel on a Cherry, meaning 2 tokens, though it isn't guaranteed. In rare occasions it can mean you can go for three red 7's (if a cherry is on the left reel at all, however, it'll only ever be the 2 token outcome).

Flashing Colors: Try for a bonus combination, though I almost never succeed. Instead, after the first spin, Hoshi's father will yell “Come on!” and the machine will shudder with each stop, and if it's a combination he likes, the reel with the table will spin, and stop with the flashing 7 one-third of the way visible. Do it again, and it'll be two-thirds of the way visible. A third time will bring it all the way up, he'll laugh “Muhahahaha, Bonus Continue!” and you're set for a Reg or Big bonus. If, in the process, it's a combination he doesn't like (this seems absolutely random, I've gotten the 7 to creep up on a combination one time, then failed another time on the exact same combination), the table will come smashing down with a crash and stop flashing.

White: Can mean you'll get absolutely nothing, or it's secretly one of the above mentioned colors and won't reveal itself until you've stopped 2 or all 3 of the reels. (If it's Blue or Yellow, you can usually tell by the time you stop the second reel).

Occasionally you'll see the table game trigger two or three times in a row.

-------------------

---Giggling Sister---

At the start of a spin, the reels will stop on Hoshi's father and sister, and you'll hear Hoshi's sister giggle. More often than not, I will either see the Cherry combination be possible, or successfully landing a Jac-In/Free Replay, 3 bells, or 3 watermelons can trigger the Special Training mini-game when this occurs.

-------------------

---Sister/Dining Table---

Starts off like the Giggling Sister, only Hoshi's sister says a line of something in Japanese. Nothing seems to happen on this spin, but starting with the next spin, specifically after your first reel stop, the reel with Hoshi's sister will start to spin up and down between her, and the table flashing multiple colors. Again this seems random and you're able to continue spinning throughout this short process, until she either cries out and the table comes slamming down (lose), or she says something followed by “Bonus Continue!” and you know what that means by now.

-------------------

---Constant Spin---

Like the previous two mini games, only the right reel will spin continuously until you stop all 3 reels, after which it'll land on and trigger any of the table colors or the Giggling sister.

-------------------

---One-Time Training---

Occasionally, a spin will behave like the Special Training mode where you stop the reels in the order they're lit while Hoshi's father counts off for a guaranteed Jac-In/Free Replay. Like the blue table, it's helpful if you were lucky enough to get 2-3 free replays before that.

-------------------

---Hoshi & Sister---

Occasionally the reels will spin and land with the image of Hoshi on his knees in defeat on the left, and Hoshi's sister on the right. More often than not, this is a guaranteed Jac-In. However, if you DON'T get a Jac-In, the outter reels will start cranking with an over-exaggerated sound effect (don't worry, that's not the actual reels making that sound :wink: ) with the left reel cranking towards Hoshi in his training harness, and the right reel towards the flashing 7. Keep spinning! This usually fails (Hoshi let's out a 'Wah!' the reels go back to where they were, and Hoshi says something in an irritated voice) if you don't spin at all, but given the nature of any Pachislo machine, is likely just a random chance at win/lose. If they finish cranking all the way up, it's Bonus Continue time!

-------------------

That pretty much sums up all the mini-games I've encountered over the hundreds (if not thousands o.o) of spins I've played. However, I have had one event occur, once, which I'd never seen before, and have yet to see again. The left and right reels spun and landed on the blank spaces that are lit up for the symbols underneath them, though they weren't backlit, so they were just blank. (The 1,2,3 panel from the baseball pitch, and the special training baseballs panel). On the next spin, either Hoshi or Hoshi's father said something, and the reels both began to spin continuously while flashing colors, and on the end of the third spin they stop on the Bonus Continue images. Was really neat having something that unexpected occur. Anyway, that just leaves the Bonus game details!

---Regular Bonus---

If you've played any other Pachislo machines, Kyojin no Hoshi's Regular Bonus is fairly standard. This occurs if you land a 7-7-BAR. The game counter below the center of the reel window will display [1-8] signifying that the next 8 spins will be automatic wins. Each spin will only cost 1 token instead of 3, and no matter what order or when you stop the reels, you'll get a Jac-In/Free Replay combination. Instead of a free replay, however, you'll win 15 tokens. This continues until you've completed all 8 spins and the game returns to normal mode.

Short of resetting the game, there's nothing you can do to accidentally win less tokens, which after factoring the cost of 1 token per spin, is a total of 112 tokens.

-------------------

---Big Bonus---

From what I've read about other Pachislo machines that are Type-B, this machine's Big Bonus seems somewhat unusual. The Game Count will show [2-15], meaning that there are a total of 15 spins for the bonus game, but 2 of them are Jac-Ins which lead to 1 Regular Bonus game each.

The right reel will spin to show the dining table, glowing yellow, and only the bottom arrow indicator pointing left will be lit. This means you MUST stop the reels starting from the right to get an automatic 3 bells and 15 tokens (so stop the reels in the order of Right, Middle, Left). If you start from the left instead, you'll get a Jac-In and be kicked into one of 2 Regular Bonus games you have. If you do this twice, the Big Bonus game will end prematurely and you won't get as many tokens as you could.

This is far simpler than it sounds, however, because the table and the arrow indicates what to do each spin. On the 7th and Final Big Bonus spins, the table will glow blue and the upper arrow pointing right will glow instead signifying to start from the left to activate one of your jac-in games, meaning you just have to follow what the game tells you to get the maximum jackpot. Each spin in a Big Bonus game still costs 3 tokens each.

If you factor 2 Regular bonus games, and the tokens it costs per spin (the spin that activates each Regular Bonus jac-in pays the exact amount the spin cost you, so it winds up being a free spin):

Reg Bonus x2: 14 tokens x 16 spins = 224 tokens
Big Bonus: 12 tokens x 13 spins = 156 tokens
Grand Total: 380 Tokens. (you try to do that in quarters, and every time a buddy wins the jackpot, you're out $95.00, I wouldn't recommend it :P)

-------------------

From what I understand, 380 tokens is a smaller Big Bonus jackpot compared to other Type-B games, but at the same time, I think the machine gives you far more chances of hitting a Bonus game. (Once, I hit 3 Big Bonus games inside of a single morning!) Granted, this doesn't mean much when your tokens are 'free', but it's fun to know what the maximum amount you can win is!

Over all, the two mini game songs are very atmospheric, and the Reg and Big bonus tunes are very catchy, and the game itself is very addicting and enjoyable because you never know if the machine is going to string you along with little wins and a regular bonus here or there, leave you out to dry for what feels like ages, or barf tokens all over you with several Big Bonus games in a row! I'm at the point now where when I know it's coming, I say the “Muhahahaha, Bonus Continue!” along with the voice, accent and all!

If you have a Kyojin no Hoshi II, most of what is explained in this guide applies directly to that model as well. Except for a total possible jackpot of 500 tokens and a third opposing batter, the differences between the two are very minor.

I hope this long-winded review and guide helped to give you some insight to the Kyojin no Hoshi pachislo!

Thanks for reading!