Questions about Contributing to the Database

Get the latest information about pachisloDB here

Moderator: Moderators

prinztek

Questions about Contributing to the Database

Post by prinztek »

I am going to contribute a review of my 93 New Pulsar, but I wondered two things. It's my first pachi, so I have nothing to compare it with - yet. Given this, my review won't be from a seasoned knowledgable perspective, but rather from a new excitable novice persepective. Is that okay? (After all, this could be the worst machine ever made - I wouldn't know).

Second, what does "HOME VOLUME OK" mean?

Finally, can any of you recommend a good therapist that specializes in pachislo-related obsessive compulsive disorder?
Forest
Curator
Curator
United States of America

Post by Forest »

WELCOME prinztek
No need for a therapist. What you are experiencing is something most
don't indulge in enough. HAVING FUN
:blob7: :geek: :laughing5: :laughing2: :laughing3: :laughing4:
CONGRATULATION on your new machine. I've never played that machine or one that old for that matter (93' :bigsmurf:) but my friend has a 2006 giant pulsar which I like allot. I too am new pachi (April 2009) and know exactly what your going through. Fortunately you found the right place :headbang:
As far as reviews of machines go I'll leave the recommendations to the Admins & vets.
Second, what does "HOME VOLUME OK" mean?
Typically these machine have three settings LOUD, LOUDER, LOUDEST
Sometimes built in volume controls can be turned down low enough for say apartment use. In which case you could indicate in your review with the "home volume o.k" selection. Check out the FAQ or search in "tech help" section for a abundance of volume info.
I will say I and other check these reviews when considering a machine purchase from the Internet.
WARNING: THESE MACHINES WILL MULTIPLE!! :nonmetzwav:
If I may help in any way give me a shout!
CONGRATULATIONS. Your now a official member :salut:
scooby_doo_m2002

Post by scooby_doo_m2002 »

as far as "home volume ok" goes, I look at it this way, If I can play the machine in one room with the door closed and the family can not hear it in the next room then in my opinion, it is "home volume ok"

But I am sure the admins and others will chime in with their opinions as well.

Welcome to the world of pachi, and congrats on your first purchase!

Won't be long until you get to the point to where you are thinking "nah, I don't need that end table, it would be great for a pachislo stand."

Or in a married world, "Just one more pachi Dear"
prinztek

Thank God We are Typing Cause I Can't Hear a Thing.

Post by prinztek »

Thanks to all for clarifying the home volume issue. It's safe to say that, at the lowest volume setting, this thing would be great for an apartment of, say, 5,000 square feet. At full volume, you can play slots next to a jet engine on full afterburner comfortably. I like that.
outdoorenth

Post by outdoorenth »

Congrats on your first pachi and you will be getting more. ;-)

Chris the admin likes owners to have and play their machines for at least "30 days to let the newness wear off" before writing a review: http://www.pachislodb.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?t=19

Sounds like the lowest volume setting on your pachi is great for home use. Most are not and would require you to install additional VCs.
www.BlueHotaru.com
Great prices on all pachislo and pachinko machines and accessories.
prinztek

30 Days Seems Reasonable

Post by prinztek »

30 days makes good sense. Having a blast exploring this thing, anyway. I am also talking with a gent who has three pachis for sale, so perhaps I will have more than one review. Thanks!
yamaminjus
United States of America

Post by yamaminjus »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pachi!
As far as a review goes,
1. I would suggest playing the machine for a while before posting.
2. I would also suggest playing a newer machine (at least year 2000+) the advancement in technology and themes have greatly improved the pachi experience.

I have played the New Pulsar machine and can tell you that it is a very basic pachislo. it was popular in pachi parlors due to it being simple and easy to understand.

And as others have stated pachi machines have a tendency to multiply!
Chris
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Chris »

Which three are you looking at?
I agree with Yama. If you like the older ones you are going to be blown away with some of the newer technologies they have added to the gameplay. At this point I don't think I could go back to some of the older machines...I think I spoiled myself too much :)
These are my opinions and just because I am the admin you don't have to agree with me
prinztek

Old Skool and New Skool

Post by prinztek »

I like the fact that the 1993 New Pulsar is clunky and more analog compared to games with whizbang LCDs. Both are cool in different ways.

The other machines are more recent Takasago machines.

Perhaps I should not mention this, but not one of these machines costs over $50 and they work. The New Pulsar needed two bulbs.

Had I invested real money in this, I would not be having this much fun.
yamaminjus
United States of America

Post by yamaminjus »

I will have to agree that some older machines are really fun to play.
To me its all about the theme, music, gameplay, reach patterns.
I also liked those OLD (no LED-LCD) universal, macy, aruze type machines. The Oriental, Cherry Bar, Solex, Continental I II III, and Eve machines all would continuously play a music whenever you lined up two 7's. It would make the music until the last reel was stopped and if a big bonus was hit, it would play a special music until you started to play out your bonus.
Gman
United States of America

Post by Gman »

Congratulations on getting a nice affordable machine. These do tend to multiply rapidly. Each series of machines have features that make them different and enjoyable, the older ones with 1,2,3 bet add a twist to the game play, the light shows and sounds can be great.
LCD machines have a story they have you as the player going through different stages and reach events.
Now you need to learn the black art of eye shooting.

welcome to the addiction!
Mike

Custom woodworking http://www.gmanind.com
go to my Game room link on the bottom of the page :) Image
Arraking
Gone, but not forgotten
United States of America

Post by Arraking »

This thread started with the most common question out there: VOLUME control.
I think this would be a neat thing to start, What I am talking about is the volume controls in any given machines. If someone has a different machine that maybe another does not have yet, could talk about the volume controllability in the DB for the specific game.

For example, a Bellco Super Bingo ( or the second version) has two slide switches to control the volume, for upper and lower speakers, but they don't do much so the after market volume controls come into play to help attenuate the loud music and sound FX.
Where as the Yamasa, Planet t, 999 has the rotary type volume control, that really works well for being able to be Home friendly.

I have noticed that some information in the DB section does have this, and others do not. And I also realize that it would be a monumental task to update all the machines listed in the DB.
But would be neat to maybe have a forum just for such questions for the newbies com'n on board all the time. And if they have a question about the machine they would like, but is the volume going to be an issue.
Just an idea, it would be interesting to See what the reaction is from the rest of you out there in Pachi land :D
Chris
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Chris »

The biggest problem about volume is that it is subjective. Some might think that "Home Volume ok" means that you can play the machine next to a sleeping baby and others think it means I can play for long periods of time without risking hearing loss. I prefer the stereo/mono volume controls from parts express as I can mount the control on the outside of the machine without it looking too bad. When you get above two speakers is where you have to substitute in the smaller volume controls.
These are my opinions and just because I am the admin you don't have to agree with me